Saturday, January 18, 2014

So what is According to Mike dot Net?

One day I was watching SXEPHIL on Youtube and he mentioned that he had a new sponsor called Host Gator. So me, being me, I went over and took a look and it was pretty cool setup. Host Gator used several sites I had previously used and I thought: I wonder how I can use this to my advantage?
I didn't come up with a reason at the time, since I was trying to make a go of my Cast Iron Wolf Youtube show. Later, I realized that the Youtube was doomed since what I need is something that would take a computer animation genius (which I am not).
So a few days ago I took the plunge and bought a site and have been building it since then. This has prompted me to start the arduous process of organizing all my blogs and other efforts into a unified platform in which to cast out my new effort.
So www.accordingtomike.net was born.

And it all started here.
A little history for those of you who are new and probably everyone else. 
Years ago, I forget how many, but near the birth of gmail, I conceived an idea of a youtube show called Mike Mumbles in which I would have a daily/weekly video blog. This was before many others would actually do this. I did not since, one: I was very poorly organized and motivated and two: turns out I am quite camera shy. So Mike Mumbles failed right after I set up the youtube channel and gmail account.
The gmail account is all that I kept of it and it is now my main personal mail account on the web. The main reason for this is accessibility and stability whereas my other email accounts are slowly falling into disuse since they are not accessible or that stable.

A few years later, I took it upon myself to help write and publish a book about the world's oldest blogger (not my title but mostly true), he was 95 at the time and a family friend. One day he and I were talking and he said why don't you write a blog. I made the usual excuses of that no one would be interested in what I had to say and he said do it anyway and see.

So, Mike Mumbles was reborn as a blog, this blog in fact. I was proven right, no one read it for the first 5 months. When I told people about it, they stumbled over the "mumbled" part. I am still not sure to this day why the word "mumbled/mumbles is so hard for people but I still have to spell it when I give out my email. So, I spent a couple of weeks looking at what I was doing and what others were blogging and I had a thought.
According to Jim (reference http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285351/ ) jumped out at me, since this was what I saw as a writer that people might actually be interested in reading. The title says trust me because I am going to tell you things from my point of view.
So Life According to Mike was born. This blog became Life According to Mike. 
Soon I even got my own domain and believe me that was a surprise because I was sure I would not be able to get it.
Then as time went on I began to add additional blogs for my poetry, short fiction and book projects, other things followed and soon I had a collection of blogs.
which roughly brings us up to date. I have been turning this over for awhile. I needed a way to tie them all together. Long story (which you have just read most of) short, that is what According to Mike is. My Hub for all my varied blogs and pages. So when people say:
"hey Mike, how do I find your stuff on the net?"
I can now say: Goto accordingtomike.net instead of going through complex url addresses that they will soon forget. Best yet, they can do it on their phones.

and as I always say. That life and the web according to Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment