Tuesday, March 24, 2015

On many things but mainly where do I go now?

I have actually been writing this blog a lot, but I keep losing focus and the blog in question ends up in my drafts folder until I eventually delete it.
The main reason most of what I started to write were reactionary posts like crooked domain name servers and their nefarious practice of penalizing people for $100 for not renewing their domain names in a given window or why there aren't female superhero movies worth a damn while the male centered superhero movies continue.
I thought I felt strong enough to write about them but I don't.
I do want a Wonder Woman movie that doesn't depend on Batman, Superman or Steve Trevor to make it valid. I want a superwoman movie or a Black widow movie or a movie about a superhero who doesn't boil down to her superhero prowess to be centralized on some sexual prowess, yes, I am talking to you Black Scorpion, Witchblade, Catwoman (the list goes on and on)
The Huntress (comic books - not Arrow) appealed to me more in that light- especially the Huntress who debuted in the mid 90's Batman and then in Robin before she got her own brief solo series. She was cool and mature and motivated by more than some misplaced need for revenge on her daddy or being raped (not that isn't legitimate motives but being a superhero/vigilante should be more than just revenge (Batman for instance, carries better than Punisher)
I am trying to read stuff about strong female characters who go beyond the traditional roles and tropes and become something more than the expectations of them. I want a Belle who doesn't have to be beautiful or dependent on a Beast for her to have a fairytale. Same way, I want my beast to be more than just an dumb, ingorant fool who makes a few bad decisions and ends up paying for them at the cost of a simple thing like love. I want my beast to be more than just a vampire.
Think about that and you might understand how Legacy of Thorns is changing the way I read and write.
I am not out to make another Twilight or 50 Shades of OMG fanfiction but rather a story of pain and disillusionment, loss and retribution based on something more than a 1-2 hundred yearold Beast (or vampire) who ends up seducing a young impressionable Belle into falling in love with him and then changing her personality to accept what makes him monstrous.
I can see why Disney rejected the traditional fairytale mold because it's just freaking creepy.
Older men and younger women can have realistic relationships but not a vampire/beast who is at least 100 years her senior taking on the dominant role in her life while this not mature often innocent/abused woman falls madly in love with a rape fantasy and well you can pretty much see why I hat Twilight and it's ilk, but it's not just them, it's the whole idea that keeps getting rammed down our throats from fairytales to fiction to movies to even videogames.
Anyway Io go on.
So where do i go now.
I need to change my life even as I change how I am writing the Legacy of Thorns and make it my own instead of yet another rehash of Beauty and the Beast.
I need to redefine my job, the way I make money, where and how I live, who or what I make a relationship with.
What I believe in. Because I got to tell you, i don't just believe in what I would have once I swore to be true no matter what. Doubt didn't take my belief in God (whomever he/she/it/? is) but rather has forced me to recognize my own willful ignorance and willingness to ignore the questions that drive me to seek truth and knowledge in order to belong somewhere and have people love me for it.

So where am I going?

I don't know, but I can't stay where I am/was anymore..

and that is life according to Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment