Sunday, January 29, 2012

One for the money movie review

or rather my response to the playlist (imdb) review:
there are only 1 or 2 movies that are better than the book they are based on, I have actually seen 4 that immediately come to mind. there are several that do the book justice, seen more than 12 that could fall into this cat, and there are many that just do not measure up along with those that bomb or blow. This movie does the original book justice, I think that Janet E. would be satisfied, the movie is as good as the first book, it really only falls short in the matter that the characters are not extreme enough, over the top enough, ridiculous enough. The Stephanie Plum novels are not the stuff of great books, originality or brilliant plotlines. I usually figure out the plot in 2 to 3 chapters, if that, but it is not why I have read and reread all of the novels and spinoffs. I read them because they are fun read and reread. the over the top everything is what pulls me back time and time again. The cast of this movie hits on some of this, sure they are not great performances but they don't need to be. The "critic" here shows that he has one POV or lens that he applies to everything and isn't worth a dime in his narrow viewed interpretation of what should matter when going to the movies. It seems obvious to me, he did not like the books IF he even bothered to read them, he obviiously has no concept of who is in the Plum fanclub either nor cares. I found this movie enjoyable and distracting. I liked the book better and do believe that the Plum books would be better as a TV series, with more time given to bringing out the characters, perhaps a little better choices on casting, but this IS an interpretation of the book and is subject to the director's vision. I will probably watch the blu-ray when it comes out. It was as good as Tarrentino's Jackie Browne.

No comments:

Post a Comment