Thursday, September 6, 2012

Superheroic

 Today, I want be heroic, so when I see a picture like this while trolling the wallpaper sites looking for inspiration to write I know that I want to be heroic.
 Then I find Black Widow doing her heroic pose and I think, well if I can be heroic, wouldn't it be great if I could meet a heroic woman? I know that BW was really that heroic, but she was hot and alluring and very convincing, so maybe I am looking for another redhaired vixen
Batgirl, yep that would be batgirl
You know that when the Joker shows up and shot her in the back, crippling her (Oh wait, I forget that five people and myself have actually read the Killing Joke) so let me put it this way. DC decided that Barbara Gordon needed a career change, so Babs became Oracle and BG got tossed in the closet for 15 plus years. During that time, I missed BG so much that when I embarked on my very short-lived career as a comic book artist, I created a new Batgirl (this quickly evolved through concept to a new Batwoman - she was "retired" back in the 1964 because she was considered superfluous. Man that took a lot of research. The laugh was on me in the end, I am/was a good concept artist, not so good at reptition or layout (storyboarding is my downfall) I should have written it down before DC got off their asses and recreated not only Batgirl but also Batwoman. Still, if I had a superheroic counterpart/girlfriend than it would have to be Barbara. Man it better be better than that awful movie My Super-Ex-Girlfriend. (ouch)
That was a film disaster
Anyway, where was I?
Oh yeah, wanting to be super-heroic. 
Now I am sitting here in Turkey Creek, way way
out West in Knoxville, waiting to see Batman's
latest movie. I tell you that franchise goes 
through actors like beer goes through rednecks.
Green Lantern, now there was a heroic hero, the hero's hero. He was the inspirer of others
starts out as the outcast but soars to the top of the Corp and does great stuff until some idiot writer at DC decides he's too perfect. Let's turn him into a loser and take away his ring and give it to a steady progression of lesser Lanterns each with a per-defined personality flaw- this culminating in the very entertaining very flawed Guy Gardner.  What a screw up.

Those were the days when The Justice League was AWESOME!
And then my hero, the antihero knocks the crap out of the Green Lantern! Well good thing it was Guy Gardner who then continued to get his butt kicked around for 30 more comics. 
Of course, I forget that I am probably the only one who knows what I am talking about.
It would be great to be in the crowd of heroes as long as I don't end up being Blue Beetle.
He was once the DC version of the Spectacular Spiderman. Now he's more like the Blues Beetle. Well what can you expect from a hero made by another comic book company than bought and reinvented in order to increase DC's footprint?
Oh, right, I am off topic again.
I really like this picture since it make me feel  that even the man of steel has a heart of softer materials

This one is one of my favorites since it make me go all gooey inside and I spend a lot of (probably too much) time deciding who i would want more to be my super-significant other.
Most days it would be Diana (Wonder Woman) since  she is (was) the quintessential essence of humility  ego, confidence, practicality and humor all wrapped up into the smart, funny, sexy woman she has almost always bee portrayed as in the comic books. I like the TV show even when it wasn't so campy. Would have like to seen the new one but it was canned before it got out of the pilot. WW is awesome hear with the other 2 Essential DC heroes. 

Speaking of which reminds me that Batman is still my favorite hero even when he is being or rather written as pigheaded and ego-maniacal. When I  am writing my  superhero blog www.asuperheroishardtofind.com. I am often  struck by my own interpretations of his character.  Now this is Batman for me (always) the Sardonic Dark Knight-still noble but much more realistic about who and what he is and less concerned about how people see him to be.

Of course with my luck I would be more like this guy The Hammer


or more likely Rorschach- who is nuttier than any hero should be but still incredibly driven to find  his own  kind  of justice in the world.
Now that  I think about it. I am probably most like this guy: Except more like he was in the Graphic Novel (fatter) and  poorer.
Still driven to do what he can despite his own misgivings. 
So there it is. My desire to be heroic or superheroic - ironically ending up with men who have no superpowers just the drive for their own sense of justice and part insanity for trying to do something about it.

And that is Life (at  least right now) according to Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment