Thursday, August 15, 2013

Sometimes Facebook Can be...exactly what you need it to be.

Ah Facebook,

 Love it

or Hate it
or leave it alone.
preferably like a rejected blind date in a bad restaurant never knowing that you saw her first.

Then someone you thought you knew (once) jumps the fence, runs across your freshly mowed lawn and screams like a teeny bopper and says Mikey, It's me... Tina! Don't you remember me? I sat like 5 or 6 or 8 rows behind you in Math class. I remember you because you like to push your knees into my butt in English!





 Facebook is like the Moon in a Robert Heinlein novel


She is often unpredictable, unfair, unkind and unknown 
and just when you are sure you have her figured out-

she will surprise you with things you never suspected possible

Facebook can be hope, power, speech, knowledge, friendship, trust and love.



It also can be cruel, hateful, mocking, mean, unfriendly and make you want to bash your LCD into finite flecks of plastic.





A few months ago I swore of Facebook after a particularly vicious round with a couple of former "friends" who had been at a school I had gone to 30 years ago. I had grown tired of Facebook and the denizens who I interacted with, the balance was not there.

So I said goodbye to the people I thought should know and took off.


It lasted 3 weeks. When it dawned on me that I needed Facebook more than it needed me. 









What I mean by that is, it is a social outlet for me. I get a lot of inspiration from the site. What was wrong was I was not using facebook as much as it was using me. I kind of have my brother to thank for this revelation...



Not in the way you think, however. Sorry Stephen. 

SV2 pointed me to these personality/self-image tests. I even started a few of them before it hit me what was off.
Basically it works like something Neil Gaiman says. 
"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can.




So in short, make facebook what you want and it will work for you.



also, choose your friends wisely.






No comments:

Post a Comment