Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Other Side of Summer Burnout

Ah, the Dog Days of Summer are upon us as July wears into August.
The Summer lovers are out grabbing whatever last bits they can before the monster called school reclaims their children and the sun moves further away from constant to infrequent company and the leaves lose their luster of green and get ready to explode into the colors of fall.
Here I sit, underground in my studio and ask myself why I never really feel like writing during the summer?
Is it that the heat is so oppressive that each morning I think to stay in my somewhat cool bed and forget that I really do not write well at night plus the distractions of marathon watching Glee and playing xBox until the early hours?
Is it that I drink too much water and not enough alcohol? Since "everybody" knows you got to be like Hemingway when you approach such ambitions.
I hate trying to walk and think about writing when all I can focus on is being blinded by sunlight, buzzed by wasps, pestered by flies and sweating like mulled ox until I stumble into some hive of inactivity looked for the blessings of AC.
Too hot to think, I think as I reach out for a cold bottle of water and wonder why I couldn't just man up and have a beer instead.
Right, I forget, I kind of hate beer. 
-Mostly because after 3-4 sips of ice cold beer, I lose the taste and the desire to drink it. 
There is a reason why a beer shandy is more appealing. 

I cannot even muster up the desire to go to a movie.
I live in the worst place for seeing movies. It's an hour at best to a good movie theater and 30 minutes to an adequate one. I am dog-lazy when it comes to this kind of effort, also, no one to get me to go and that just lets me tell myself things like, I will wait until I can stream it.
I am a hermit. I am a walrus. I am a hippopotamus.
I am hopeless and still I spend more time fooling around on facebook then getting anything productive down.

I have read a bit at least. No where as near as my nieces or mother but some, unless you count blog research, webpage browsing, trade mags and such as reading.
I want to buy an XBox One or a PS4 but can't justify the expense even though I can probably afford it. I realize that most of that stems for the same lack of motive to go swimming or walking or anything.
I want to be bored, however, I never have time for boredom anymore and I do feel really guilty unless I am out accomplishing things.
So you know that I will now have to go forth and accomplish since I have just admitted to being a 40 something couch potato (minus the couch).

And that is life according to Mike. 













No comments:

Post a Comment