Thursday, September 25, 2014

In case you were about to ask, Yes- I am a feminist.

There are many serious problems on the net these days.
Apathy, cruelty and degradation usually come to mind as I navigate through Facebook and Youtube. Many of the three aforementioned terms are there in person or their after effects can be seen if not in the post, then in the comments on the posts.
I don't think people think through things that they post all that much, often the thought strikes a cord with them and they post it without considering the deeper implications of what they have in essence just said about themselves.
Case in point, Sam Pepper, probably never really thought that what he was doing was sexual assault and that through the large number of fans/viewings of his record of embarrassing women that he would leave a trail of wounded and angry women. He packaged his assaults as "prank" videos.
In my opinion, "Prank" videos involve all three of my terms. 
1) Apathy: you purposely go out and cause distress on a person or persons and then show it to the world often without them even knowing what you have just done to them.
2) Pranks are cruel by nature. The damage is incredible. I can speak for myself, I used to think pranks were funny, and they are as long as you aren't the victim or butt of the joke. today most pranks involve violence, shame, and assault and people line up and pay for it. Think Jackass movie and their offspring Wild Boyz and such other forms of garbage.
3) Degradation, the end result of this behavior and popularity is the embarrassment, shame, lessening of a person through the exposure of what you have just done to them. I am guilty of watching prank videos and even laughing at a few. Ricky Gervais is a prime example of this kind of behavior, look at An Idiot Abroad, I could only stand about a half of the first episode before I had to quit because what they did to the "star" and the people they exposed him to was overwhelmingly painful to watch.
Let me draw a line here. Fictional pranking is okay for me- might change because it does make it seem to be acceptable to do. I am referring to passive/non-aggressive acts, not a habitual harassment of a person/persons. Chances are, I probably will have to reassess it at a later date.

As a man, I cannot imagine doing what Sam Pepper has done, repeatedly. 
I have never forced myself on a woman. I usually feel extremely clumsy when I want to kiss someone and have to ask if that is okay, nevermind touching, holding, hugging, groping.
We have seen boys and men do it the movies- almost since movies were first made. The premise, how can any woman resist a handsome leading man.
I am not sure how I would feel if some woman came up and did any of the above to me without so much as a hey ho.
I can say this, though, the first time a group of men oogled me, I was really uncomfortable, so much, in fact- that I did not go back to the Subway restaurant in South Knoxville for a long time (10+ years)

Laci Green is one of my all time heroes. she is bold and brash and honest and if I knew her personally, I would go see her anytime I had a question about my own sexuality nevermind relationships and the rest (she is quite a bit younger than me). Why?
Laci is honest and open about everything. In her blog, her youtube channel, on tour. I do hope to meet her someday since she has helped me so very much.
It was Laci Green that called Sam Peppers hand on his videos. 
She didn't do it in a threatening fashion, she sent him a letter requesting that he remove the offensive material from Youtube. 
I am going to post her most recent video wherein she goes into detail about this disturbing behavior on youtube.



Here are a few testimonials
shirleyhatessam: this is a blog concerning the same

This next one is disturbing and might not be approriate for some. also very painful.
this is kind of a continuationof the above video

Here's the thing, I may have seen a Sam Pepper video, I can honestly say I don't subscribe to him. This kind of video does not appeal to me.
I personally think that Sam Pepper is a scum bag who learned that this behavior was acceptable and even desired by the society in which he lives and by the legions of adoring fans who live out their own desires and fears through his exploits.
I hope that Sam Pepper will take responsibility for his actions but I doubt that he will.
Like it or not, he is a sexual predator that may get away with his deviance. 
He is paying for it.

As a society we can no longer stand by and allow this to continue, those victims are our children, our sisters, our friends, our wives, girlfriends.

If standing up for the victims and condemning their aggressors makes me a feminist
then perhaps you should reconsider the word and what you think it means.

And that is life according to Mike 

No comments:

Post a Comment