Friday, March 2, 2012

PC Repair will eat you alive

PC repair is an all encompassing beast of a job, since you end up spending more hours than you can afford to get paid to get a customers computer back up and running. I just spent 1 and a half days working my PC magic for a new client at the cost of sleep and only made 7 to hours for my 20+ hours effort. An effort that is done on the basis that they will continue to employ me to handle the computer problems and refer me to others so I might actually make $30 an hour for real.
This client got a 4122 (actually the number may have been different now that I just typed it) Stop error and unmountable volume error on their Windows XP Dell System. According to Dell the hard drive was toast, according to initial troubleshooting in Win 7, which included a repetitive request to reformat the primary partition the drive was unreadable. Seagate recovery started to recover files but kept locking up and telling me the best thing to do was remove the drive and sent it to them. (I hope the $99) I spent on the software does pay off. It did recover about 40GB of data before declaring the rest of the drive unreadable. Even Sea tools proved to be unhelpful. In the end it was by putting the drive in a working win 7 system and reloading win 7, that good old chkdsk came to the rescue and partially rebuilt/reparsed the damaged sectors.
I accessed the drive and rescued a majority of the clients files 2 hours before I ran out of time and took it back to them.
Now wasn't that exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment