Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Isn't life funny?

First let me finish my thoughts on Mockingjay.
Things I liked since at times they were hard to remember.
1. There was the dichotomy of the Arena. Once Katniss went to the Hunger Games, she never really left them.
No tribute ever left them. It was a useful engine for talking about the human condition and it's undying need to punish others for perceived hurts more than actual ones. In the end the oppressed turn out to not be that different than their overlords were. That is until Katniss kills Coin. Unlike the rest of her people, the Mockingjay does transcend and become something more than she was. She does come to terms albeit briefly with her inner demons.
2. At least there is some reprieve for Peeta. He suffers the most in many ways and reflects that he might have been the one to save instead of Katniss. This was well down. I liked how he kept figuring into the books even though Gale looked like the more promising of the two. It is Peeta who grows and Gale who does not- well not much.
3. The books have a terrible beauty to them and the promises of hope turn out to be more internal than external. If you look for beauty you will find it in the ugliest and often most unlikely places. If you go to beautiful places you often find an ugliness there that defies understanding.

So my final judgement on the Collins' books. I would recommend reading them, but I would not own them. I think that they should have been rewritten one last time since for me there were things in them that robbed them of any lasting endearment. By contrast Harry Potter series has lots of more endearing and lasting impact in the story. I could see owning them in a collection one day. The stories are not unlike each other but at the end of things I will read Harry Potter again whereas I won't reread the Hunger Games.

In other news.
I find I want to write more and more as time passes. I am feeling an all consuming voice or voices surging within me. I know part of it is thanks to the Kindle -which has given me a freedom to read in many places I would have just surrender to the complexities that come with them. For me, John Manchip White's words of advice are becoming truer by the day.
"Mike, Reading is like inhaling of breath, and thus your writing must become its exhaling. If you want to write and write well, then read and read well."

In the end, I may become the Isaac Asimov of Blogging Fiction.

Life is funny.

I like doing this better than video games.
better than words with friends
better than sex (actually since I am not having sex nor about to- this is MUCH easier to say)

I also recognize that
if I met someone it all could change
but I suspect that I would write more rather than less

since
Life is funny that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment