Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Today I say see you later to my Best Friend

This morning around 10am, My Best Friend "Dad" passed on from this life. I am a believer as was he in God and the infinite promise of a father's love for his children, a creator's love for his creation. "Dad" was not my father- not my biological father, but he was as close to me as my own biological father. He had always been there for me especially during the years that I had lost contact with my biological father.
He always told me that I was his best friend and that he loved me.
He never spoke an unkind word to me.
He never lost patience with me.
He even apologized once when he thought he had said too much but for me had said too little.
I have never known another man as good as he was to me and everyone and everything around him.
I know that he was not perfect and he was a man, but he was the best kind of man. A man that I aspire to be.

I loved Ray White as much as I have ever loved any relative or friend. To me he was both and the best. There is only 2 other people that I have loved more.

I had the distinct pleasure to co-write/edit, design and publish the book Dad, the Tomato Man: Coffee and Conversation with America's Oldest Blogger, Ray White, which was published just under a month ago. I am so pleased that he lived long enough to read it, post it on his blog and sell some copies. I learned more about a man I have known almost all of my 43 years on this world. The more I learned the deeper the respect and admiration I had for this man who would call himself my friend.

There are still copies of his book available to anyone who is interested, let me know if you are @ mikemumbled@gmail.com and I will see about getting you a copy. Ray would have wanted that.

He always started and finished his blogs by saying "Time is so precious, do not waste it." and "Live for others every day, be a blessing will you may."
I will finish the thought like this by paraphrasing one of his favorite hymns:
"Be ever so kind and always be true, Jesus-like in all you say and do."

You may not believe in Jesus, but only a fool would say what Jesus represents is not the right way one should strive to live. Anyone who would say that need only look at Ray White and see that he lived out what he believed to be true everyday.

Bye, Bye Dad- I will see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment