Sunday, June 3, 2012

Closing the Circle

I went to see MIB II. It is definitely worth seeing. As farces go this one has many good turns and while the obvious humor is great, it is the subtle stuff that really did it for me. The understated humor of Tommy Lee Jones carried the movie a long way but it was Will Smith who was both obvious and deep that came off the best for me.
The best part of the movie was the story coming almost full circle.
The circle of which  I speak is the one where J learns of his  father. It is what makes the movie special, instead of relying on ridiculousness and farce or even satire in places,, the movies takes on  an emotional note that  not only explains a lot about J but also K. I would even go on to say that the  movie hits an emotional note and changes the way I  saw the characters as a whole.
I have always like ideas presented about the  universe dropped, tossed and even thrown out at you by the writers  and directors in the movie. I like that they maintain many of the  die hard notions of aliens even though many would call them tired  or cliche'd. Whose an alien conitinues more to maintain continuity in the  series than anything else.
I say go see  it but be prepared for more than just  slapstick and action (which is okay) but look at the more subtle elements that are in  the background.
Remember that movies have to entertain the idiots and simpletons while amusing  those of us who are convinced we know more.

Mike
and that is how I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment